Just like an annual physical or an oil change for your automobile, awareness of issues, and prevention over cure are always preferable. Having a consistent and objective look at your infrastructure in the public cloud is no different. Enter the AWS Well-Architected Framework Review (WAFR) – an exercise that Foghorn executes on behalf of customers to validate framework alignment. Foghorn scrutinizes cloud architecture to gauge adherence to the AWS framework.
So What is an AWS Well-Architected Framework Review (WAFR)?
Over a two day period, our seasoned WAFR practitioners examine individual workloads running on AWS and flag any areas of concern. For customers in the past we have identified security vulnerabilities, underutilized resources, as well as ways to bolster performance. AWS wants customers to truly maximize the power of the cloud, and WAFR systematically assesses cloud infrastructure on AWS, validating adherence to design principles and architectural best practices. The WAFR review encompasses six pivotal pillars, pillars that provide the foundation of a healthy, secure, and performant cloud.
Exploring the 6 Pillars of the AWS Well-Architected Framework Review
- Operational Excellence: Focuses on operational efficiency, automation, and continuous process enhancement.
- Security: Emphasizes data protection, confidentiality, user permissions, and security incident identification.
- Reliability: Concentrates on workload performance, swift failure recovery, system design, and adaptability.
- Performance Efficiency: Involves optimized IT resource allocation, ideal workload-centric resource selection, and sustained efficiency.
- Cost Optimization: Targets cost reduction through resource selection, allocation control, and aligning scaling with objectives.
- Sustainability: Considers long-term environmental, economic, and societal impacts, promoting efficiency and reduced environmental footprint.
Benefits of AWS Well-Architected Review
- Gap Identification: Unveils areas for potential enhancements, preparing for future challenges.
- Framework Adherence: Ensures alignment with dynamic AWS WAR framework pillars.
- Cost Efficiency: Unearths unnecessary cloud expenditure.
- Optimization & Performance: Elevates system performance, reliability, and security under AWS.
- Enhanced Security: Bolsters defense against evolving cybersecurity threats.
Conducting a Well-Architected Review
While knowledgeable users may attempt self-review, AWS recommends engaging Amazon Certified Partners. AWS Certified Partners like Foghorn possess expertise, tools, and resources for meticulous infrastructure evaluation and issue resolution. Like a physician or mechanic we know the questions to ask, and where to look for hidden issues.
- Foghorn and AWS recommend WAFRs every 6 months.
- Focuses on critical AWS workloads vital to core business operations.
- For most AWS customers, AWS will pick up the tab for these reviews.
- As well, AWS will chip in $5,000 smackeroonies to help offset the cost of any remediation needs identified through the review.
Foghorn offers comprehensive AWS Well-Architected Reviews, implementing recommended adjustments. This partnership guarantees peace-of-mind, assuring businesses they are harnessing the full potential of their AWS solutions.
Send me an email to see if your AWS cloud qualifies for a free Well-architect.
Brooke is an AWS, Azure, and GCP strategist. She has guided enterprises towards cloud technologies that accelerate the pace of innovation and scale.
Contact Brooke for advice on how Foghorn Engineers can help your digital business eliminate technical debt and win the future.